Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Beef Stew--Perfect dinner for cold & windy October evening!

I'm still in my sweats, sitting here thinking, what the heck am I gonna make for dinner??  After scouring the fridge, freezer and cabinets, I discovered that I have all I need to make beef stew!


I've adapted this recipe from one I found on Food Network's Website: Sam's Beef Stew


Here's my version:
Beef Stew:
1/2 C or so of Flour
1 to 1.5 lbs stew beef
3 or 4 celery stalks-chopped
1/2 to 3/4 bag baby carrots-chopped in 1/2
32 oz beef broth
2 large potatoes-chopped


Frozen corn, peas, or green beans (optional)*


Cut the stew beef into smaller pieces.  Toss them in a bowl with the flour; make sure all the pieces are covered.  In a soup pot, cook the stew beef & flour in veggie oil until no longer pink. (Coating in flour is what's going to make the stew nice and thick)  Add in the chopped carrots and celery.  I use the baby carrots, because they are already peeled & cut.  I use them out of sheer laziness!  I do cut them in half before adding. Let that cook for about 5 minutes, stirring, and scraping the bottom of the pan.  That's how you get all those yummy bits up!  Then add the potatoes and the broth.  Give it a big stir, then let it get to a boil.  Once it's boiling, turn it down and let it simmer for about a half hour; stirring occasionally.  If you think it's not thick enough, add a few drops of Gravy Master, or stir in some Wondra gravy flour. (Be careful though; a little goes a long way!) 
This is when you can also add in the corn, etc if you want.  Cook another 5 minutes or so.


Serve with some nice warm bread and dinner is done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment